Wednesday, August 6, 2008

The Wizard's Confession

I have a confession to make. I'm the latest wizard. To protect the fragile Identity that I frequently hide behind, I'll make a new name that I'll use to talk to you, my dear follower. My name is Josh, for now. Anyway, I'm not as insane as you may think (although, ironically, I may be a lot less sane than you think as well). I started to write this blog as an act of magical prowess. No, I don't believe in magic in any traditional sort of way. That's to say, I don't believe that there's any advantage to be gained in learning to wave magic wands and turn people into frogs. I also don't see any point in making skyscrapers grow up out of the ground by saying "abracadabra." As a reader of Eckhart Tolle, I am a firm believer that you've got to learn to be fulfilled with what you've got. As long as you think you need something other than what you have, you'll always be wanting something more. That pretty much makes most of magic pointless, from the point of view it's traditionally looked at from. So, while learning to fly, breathe underwater, stop time, and other such "supernatural" things might be fun to do as parlor tricks, they don't actually bring you any closer to living a happy and fulfilled existence.

What, then, is the point of this writing, and why am I doing magic on here? Well, first of all, my key purpose for writing this blog is to create a new context for magic and magical acts. True magic (the kind worth playing with) is the less flashy, less dramatic kind. Actually, on the surface, it doesn't look like anything spectacular at all. No one except the caster can tell that a spell is being cast when real magic is at work. Real magic entails nothing other than being fully present in the moment, fully aware of who you are, and fully in alignment with the Divine. When you're in that place, you have no need for anything, and you're fully free to choose any experience you want. It's ironic, isn't it? By the time you finally get to the place where you can turn your skin purple, see through walls, and understand every language, you no longer have any burning desire to do any of these things. That may sound disappointing to some people, but actually, it's really good news.

The good news is this. When you use magic to make your life worthwhile and fulfilling, you're in all actuality trying to manipulate people and trying to steal their free will. This is dark magic, whether you know it or not. Dark magic comes with a heavy price tag. Use of this type of magic will cost you everything. Generally speaking, that's why using magic is ill-advised for most of us. It may be ill-advised for me, also, but I'm a risk-taker, so I don't mind being a guinea pig. Anyhow, when your goal is to change the world outside of you to escape from your own negative reaction to it, you're casting a dangerous kind of magic that will do a lot of damage. This kind of magic relies on deception, lies, hiding its power from others, and self-exaltation. This type of magic is typically used to the benefit of one individual at the expense of everyone else. Adolf Hitler tried to create a new world, just so it would be to his liking. He spent his life living in Hell and committed suicide. He is but one example of a dark magician.

There's a different kind of magic. There's another magic that works inwardly. There's a kind of magic that is for awakening you and bringing you into full consciousness. This kind of magic is of a different nature entirely. This type of magic has no power until you share its power with others. This type of magic dies out like a snuffed candle flame if you try to hoard it or hide it. This type of magic shines beautifully. This type of magic cannot be owned. This type of magic is fragile, and has barely begun to be created. Since it can take infinite forms, it never really will begin to create itself.

Both types of magic exist to keep the universe keep itself in balance. Both types of magic keep things from changing too quickly. You can't have one without the other. And we're all magicians. Some of us are aware of it, and some are not. My goal is to make those aware who read my message and are ready to receive it. I'll let these people identify themselves by finding me.